We did not get it together for a 24 June recording of Episode 54. It may just be a bad time of year for an open participation podcast to put a panel together however, I do have some hope we will record Ep. 54 soon, and I hope that some of our international participants can join in. We have never wanted this to be a USA only podcast, but we think the conversations we want to have need to engage the entire world.
Much gratitude to people like Adam Smith, David Grigg, Chris McGinlay, and Mateusz Mateus who have joined us at very inconvenient times in the past episodes. We will try to make things easier for them when we can.
Friday, June 24, 2016
Friday, June 10, 2016
Recorded: 10 June 2016
Released: 11 june 2016
Duration: 98 minutes, 44 seconds
download the .mp3 audio file
Host Paul Carr is joined by panelists Adam Smith, Marsha Barnhart, and Nick Nielsen to talk about
the future of human conflict.
- Cyber warfare
- Snowden and the NSA information
- Snowden hero or traitor?
- Drawing the line where cyberwar starts
- Defining warfare
- The cold war and limited war
- War in low Earth orbit and cyber warfare
- Easy and cheap to bring down big expensive satellites
- Anti satellite weapons
- Kessler syndrome
- Weather satellites and the military value of weather data
- Warfighting platforms in space
- GPS and their military value
- Boots on the Ground in space.
- DARPA does proof of concept.
- Asymmetric warfare
- Camouflage and concealment
- Suicide bombers as smart bombs
- The enemy gets a vote
- Counterinsurgency warfare
- Suicide bombers in space?
- Humans really a warlike species? Are we done with big wars?
- What purpose would war in space serve?
- Proxy wars and shadow wars
- Plausible to send large military forces into space?
- Private companies quietly supporting government spying?
- An analogy to Chinese new islands?
- Transhumanism a moral horror? Would it make wealth inequality worse?
- The first CRISPR baby soon? The first cloned baby?
- The great firewall of China
- Weapons in space and the Soviet pistols
- Space the next flashpoint?
- recruiting,nagging, begging
- brief pitch for the Wow! Signal
- Final round of goodbyes
|TheCosmonaut's TP-82 pistol|
NOAA Weather Satellites
The Weather Forecast that Saved D-Day
The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact
Chiquita admits to paying terrorists
NSA Infiltrated RSA Security
AT&T Helped NSA Spy on Internet
The TP-82 Pistol
Chinese Test Anti-Satellite Weapon
The Outer Space Treaty and Lucite Balls
Nick: Alain de Botton: Status Anxiety
Adam: Star Wars Audiobooks: Darth Bane Trilogy
Paul: Raging Bitch
Credits:Host and Producer: Paul Carr
Music: DJ Spooky